Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Discussion Board » Technology and Internet

Gmail, meet Google Drive -- and behold 10GB file transfers

Product manager Phil Sharp explains in a blog post:
Like a smart assistant, Gmail will also double-check that your recipients all have access to any files you\'re sending. This works like Gmail\'s forgotten attachment detector: whenever you send a file from Drive that isn\'t shared with everyone, you\'ll be prompted with the option to change the file\'s sharing settings without leaving your email. It\'ll even work with Drive links pasted directly into emails.
The feature is rolling out over the next few days to users who have already upgraded to Gmail\'s new composing window.
Topics:Google Tags:google, gmail, google drive Casey Newton
Casey Newton writes about Google for CNET, which he joined in 2012 after covering technology for the San Francisco Chronicle. He is really quite tall.

DON\'T MISSGovernment surveillance continues to rise, Google says
CNET
Lynda.com offers free training course on Windows 8
CNET
SMS Marketing for Social Media
EZ Texting
Western Digital announces its thinnest external drive with USB 3.0
Digital Trends
about these links
Obama opposes Silicon Valley firms on immigration reform
Politics and Law
Microsoft calls Google \'Scroogle\'
Technically Incorrect
NASA\'s 1975 vision of space colonization (pictures)
Slideshow
A great little pocket camera for $135
Review

CNET UPDATE
Windows 8 sales off to brisk start
Microsoft reports selling 40 million Windows 8 licenses, Gmail makes large file transfers easier, and several apps get a holiday makeover.
Play Video
49 comments Join the conversation!Add your comment
This is the upside to a company that does lots of things. It can combine those things and provide the best user experience with new amazing products. If you are a one-trick pony, you just end up making 5 different sizes of the same thing.
Posted by sawilsonorg (577 comments )
November 27, 2012 9:50 AM (PST)Like (22) Reply Link Flag
You mean Apple?
Posted by kgst000 (1 comment )
November 27, 2012 4:50 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
@kgst000 Apple hater strikes again!
Posted by adriangzz97 (11 comments )
November 27, 2012 7:23 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
HA. I get it.
Posted by vandel212 (387 comments )
November 27, 2012 7:27 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
sawilsonorg
I know. I admit it is odd that praise for Apple would actually come from your lips, but I suppose even one such as you cannot deny the \'Apple experience\' of having all your apple devices working flawlessly together to provide the best user experience there is. Now that\'s innovation, and the upside of a company that does lots of things.

I mean, how is allowing you to email larger files (or rather, email a link to a larger file) considered an innovation when file-sharing sites and torrents have been around for ages? Truly a 1-trick pony. ;)
Posted by Abazigal (59 comments )
November 28, 2012 4:40 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
A welcome feature. Like to see if Google could extend such dirve ease of use to other email ecosystems such as Exchange/Outlook.
Posted by damon8or (101 comments )
November 27, 2012 9:58 AM (PST)Like (2) Reply Link Flag
now why would they want to do that? they want you to switch
Posted by lil-yankee (946 comments )
November 27, 2012 3:00 PM (PST)Like (4) Link Flag
About time!
Posted by duckwithnukes_2 (153 comments )
November 27, 2012 10:04 AM (PST)Like (3) Reply Link Flag
uhh... Couldn\'t one just e-mail the shared link to the Drive file??

What am I missing?
Posted by elliottdp (360 comments )
November 27, 2012 10:09 AM (PST)Like (4) Reply Link Flag
^^^-- this
Posted by wjherma (74 comments )
November 27, 2012 10:38 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
yes, that would make the most sense.
Posted by sd-reader123 (103 comments )
November 27, 2012 11:00 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
I presumed that how they are going providing this functionality, which means all Gmail is doing sending is a html link to the receiver and checking whether that the receive have permission to access the file/link location and allowing the sender to change the permission if necessary. .

But this should improve usability of the service and may be even the number of users using such service. But their press release has to make it sound more impressive than it really is.

I presuming the 10GB is the maximum file size allowed on GDrive.
Posted by knowles2 (1630 comments )
November 27, 2012 11:52 AM (PST)Like (3) Link Flag
It\'s about ease of use, sometimes emailing the grandkids pics to grandpas is the only way to go.
Isn\'t this apples, whole argument as to why they\'re better??? What\'s so difficult to understand, it\'s GOOOOOOOOLD!!!
Posted by Lusitron (156 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:29 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
Same thing--basically you have the ability to select a file and send it as an email attachment from an online file explorer.

The smart feature is that you don\'t have to switch over to the mail app, and Gmail checks to make sure your recipient has access to the linked Drive file per your Drive permissions.
Posted by vaffangool (5 comments )
November 27, 2012 4:26 PM (PST)Like (2) Link Flag
Another ploy from Google to get all your data.
Posted by brian.lee (452 comments )
November 27, 2012 11:24 AM (PST)Like (3) Reply Link Flag
I know right? Clearly they\'re attempting to steal all my work emails in order to use it to take over the world, someone\'s got to make sure we don\'t question the moon landing, which was clearly another one of Google\'s evil plans.....
Posted by KeeganWest (1 comment )
November 27, 2012 12:00 PM (PST)Like (19) Link Flag
They can have my data as long as they continue to provide excellent services for free.

It\'s not like they\'re using the data against me.. They\'re simply using it for advertising/marketing purposes.
Posted by Zero187 (612 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:39 PM (PST)Like (10) Link Flag
@keeganwest: A \"Like\" on your first post! WELL PLAYED SIR.
Posted by gefitz (1073 comments )
November 27, 2012 1:22 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
I have found that most of the people who complain the most about Google having any data on them have Facebook accounts. To top it off, they make the Facebook account public. So not only does Google know your bra or ***** size, anyone who wants personal data on you can get it. You left it out their to be taken by anyone, yet Google is evil for giving you services that would otherwise cost a monthly fee in exchange for that data.
Posted by McPlot (1080 comments )
November 27, 2012 7:17 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
Surveying google complainer\'s to see if they have facebook.... Interesting hobby McPlot. Perhaps you should write a paper on the results.
Posted by Cream Juicy (77 comments )
November 28, 2012 5:20 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
Definitely misleading to say \"insert files from Drive directly into their messages\" since all they are really doing is sending a link to the file as it exists in Drive (the cloud).
Posted by seanb1974 (13 comments )
November 27, 2012 11:48 AM (PST)Like (1) Reply Link Flag
That\'s not all they\'re doing. If it was, that wouldn\'t be a change, since you\'ve been able to insert such links into an e-mail since Google Drive started.
Posted by bhartman35 (204 comments )
November 28, 2012 9:54 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
I\'m pretty sure Hotmail has had this forever, at least for documents and photos. I never use it though.
Posted by andStack (1121 comments )
November 27, 2012 11:56 AM (PST)Like (3) Reply Link Flag
Not in this manner. If you knew how to code HTML, or the email program you were using helped you with hyperlinks you were all set. However, it was not that easy to do for the average person. This makes it easy for just about anyone.
Posted by McPlot (1080 comments )
November 27, 2012 7:20 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
It is very easy and straightforward to attach a file in Hotmail and make it use Skydrive to send the file. Just attach the file and right below it, click Send Using SkyDrive! In fact, if the file size is more than 20 MB, it will automatically send it using Skydrive. For files of less than 20 MB, you have the option to send them as attachments or skydrive links.
Posted by getmehome (8 comments )
November 28, 2012 9:41 AM (PST)Like (2) Link Flag
All that space and you still can\'t send .exe files through it. Why not get an antivirus that scans it like every other company google?!
Posted by SatanicJeebus (55 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:02 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
I think it\'s more to prevent piracy than viruses. But I could be wrong.
Posted by Zero187 (612 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:40 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
Why not compress you .exe and send your file as a .7z like everybody else, you useless berk.
November 27, 2012 4:29 PM (PST)Like (2) Link Flag
it is useless!!!
Posted by Ethraa (2 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:22 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
You\'re useless.
Posted by Lusitron (156 comments )
November 27, 2012 12:30 PM (PST)Like (12) Link Flag
This is perfect for anyone who has made a video on their phone/tablet and could not send it to a friend because the file is too big.
Posted by JoBo33 (7 comments )
November 27, 2012 4:23 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
Kim DotCom should sue.
Posted by dinkeldorf (468 comments )
November 27, 2012 1:28 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
Big Media should sue. Obviously the only files of that size are all pirated media.
Posted by Renegade Knight (12880 comments )
November 27, 2012 2:41 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
Why.
Posted by Lyam_Witherow (104 comments )
November 27, 2012 3:05 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
Trying to email the article to someone and keep getting this error message... \"Error: The captcha you entered did not match.\" Um, it\'s not showing me a captcha box to enter. Sigh!
Posted by LouAnnV (1 comment )
November 27, 2012 3:10 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
I already use SkyDrive. Sorry Google the boat already left port.
Posted by n3td3v (3387 comments )
November 27, 2012 3:43 PM (PST)Like (1) Reply Link Flag
And Skydrive\'s cap is 2Gb
November 27, 2012 4:20 PM (PST)Like (1) Link Flag
or it\'s 7Gb for free...
Posted by bobmonkey07 (193 comments )
November 27, 2012 4:48 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
7Gb of storage, yes. But you can only send a single file of up to 2Gb.
November 27, 2012 7:08 PM (PST)Like (3) Link Flag
The lifted size limit isn\'t even the most useful development here. Bringing GMail and Google Docs under the Google Drive umbrella makes the entire suite much more convenient and intuitive to use.

I find myself using Google Docs much more often--I had never found cloud applications to be of much use before, but the reorganization has made it much more appealing.
November 27, 2012 4:36 PM (PST)Like (1) Reply Link Flag
Isn\'t the amount of free space on Google Drive only 5gb?
Posted by orbit55 (129 comments )
November 27, 2012 5:27 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
Yes the free space is 5Gb. But this isn\'t about your total storage, it\'s about how big of a single file you can send. So I\'m guessing you are trying to make the point that if you want to be able to send a file that big you would have to pay for more space to begin with. Which is true.
November 27, 2012 7:13 PM (PST)Like Link Flag
I\'m guessing this 10gb max is useful for companies that use Drive internally. If I\'m in advertising or whatnot, and I\'ve got some big Illustrator, Photoshop, or video file to share, this would come in handy.

I\'m not, however, so... I\'ll just stick with Dropbox.
Posted by Spinofoto (17 comments )
November 28, 2012 8:40 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
If only they could make 10GBs upload like it was 10KBs.
Posted by chucksav (10 comments )
November 27, 2012 10:00 PM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
How is this different from the \"Send files using SkyDrive\" option when you attach a file to a message on Microsoft\'s Outlook.com?
Posted by AlexRidge (1 comment )
November 28, 2012 5:08 AM (PST)Like (1) Reply Link Flag
Out of the realm of possibility.The file phone transfer rate that I pay for is never attained.It would take you several days to file transfer 10 gig.
Posted by BALTHOR1 (572 comments )
November 28, 2012 8:26 AM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
\"The new 1932 Chrysler.Speeds of up to 200 miles per hour.\"
Posted by BALTHOR1 (572 comments )
November 28, 2012 8:30 AM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag
What?
Posted by Lennatron (94 comments )
November 28, 2012 10:21 AM (PST)Like Link Flag
Too bad the new composer wants to force me to look at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to write anything (and yes I know I can click the pop-out to bring it into a new window, but why do I need the extra click?). It\'s a stupid design decision!
Posted by HughJJorgan (35 comments )
November 28, 2012 10:41 AM (PST)Like Reply Link Flag